AECT is always seeking talented youth participants! No previous training or experience is required to audition or sign up for a crew. There is no fee to audition, but there are participation fees for cast and crew members (more information about fees is provided on the form when you sign up for a crew or auditions; there is also a fee chart here). Scholarships are available to help with fees—you can request a scholarship form any time before fees are due, or download the scholarship form here and turn it in with your participant's fee sheet.
Audition information and crew sign-ups for upcoming shows can be found on the City of East Lansing website. Audition spots can fill up quickly; generally the audition and crew signups are posted about three weeks before auditions begin. Check AECT's Facebook, Instagram, and home page to learn when signups go live.
- Audition workshops are held the day before auditions for each main stage production. This gives younger or newer auditioners a chance to meet the director and learn more about what to expect. Audition workshops require pre-registration and cost $10 for AECT members, $15 for non-members.
- Download our Audition Tips handout for tips on what to expect!
- Participants new to the theatre world may come across new vocabulary. AECT has compiled a short glossary of common terms if you want to learn more!
auditioning for cast
Cast time commitment:
Signing up for a CREW
Crew time commitment:
- Rehearsals are generally held Monday through Thursday evenings, typically from 6:30-8:30pm. The number of rehearsals required weekly depends on the participant's crew. Most crews only meet twice a week until the last couple of weeks before a show opens.
- Rarely, a show might require Saturday rehearsals for technical work, set moving, or other practice; date requirements will be made clear in the audition process.
- Performances run during two consecutive weeks, with shows each weekend on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday afternoon. Most crews require availability for all performances.
- Crews have varied minimum ages; Experience Crews like ushering are open to children as young as 6, while Guild Crews require that participants be at least 11, 12, or 14 depending on the crew. Learn more on our Guild Program & Crews page.
- There is no need to appear in person to sign up for a crew.
- AECT uses Google Forms for crew sign-ups. The link will be published at the same time the audition link goes live, and youth can sign up for age-appropriate crews based on their preferences.